We’ll consider how to make our classes welcoming to everyone, and to approach students in a trauma-informed way. You’ll learn sample Accessible Yoga classes, chair yoga classes and even bed yoga classes. We’ll also look at ways of bringing the yoga teachings and meditation into your classes, and how all of yoga can be used to support health and healing for every body. We’ll also review common medical conditions so that you have a basic understanding of these issues, and review essential concepts of yoga philosophy to build your understanding of the teachings.
Graduates of the program become Accessible Yoga Ambassadors and connect with a network of Accessible Yoga teachers and students around the world. Participants who have completed a 200-hour yoga teacher training will become Certified Accessible Yoga Teachers. Those registered with Yoga Alliance will receive a certificate for 30 YA CEUs after successful completion of the training.
- Variations of the most popular asanas
- Techniques for creating integrated Accessible Yoga classes
- Sample Accessible Yoga classes, either on the floor, in a chair, or in a bed
Yoga Anatomy and Physiology
- Overview of common medical conditions such as diabetes, arthritis, respiratory diseases, cancer, H.I.V/AIDS, heart disease and more
- A review of some of the major impacts of aging on all the systems of the body
- How to empower people with disabilities by giving them a deep understanding of the Yoga teachings. Includes study of The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali and The Bhagavad Gita
Pranayama and Meditation
- How to make the subtle practices available for all students, regardless of ability
- How to build a strong community among Yoga students to support the transformational process of Yoga
View a SAMPLE Schedule here!
After completion of the Accessible Yoga Training, participants will be able to:
- Understand the benefits of an accessible yoga practice including: enhancing muscular strength, balance, flexibility, improving physiological functions, reducing stress, anxiety, chronic pain and promoting overall health and well-being
- Determine safe and appropriate variations of common asanas for a range of physical ability (chair, mat/bed, standing)
- Learn specific asanas for flexibility, strengthening and balance training to maintain or improve health and independence
- Understand the purpose and implementation of various props to make yoga accessible to all abilities
- Learn how to create integrated (mixed level) classes making yoga accessible to all
- Acquire knowledge of common medical conditions and the benefits and concerns for implementation of a yoga practice
- Learn the physical and psychosocial benefits of pranayama and meditation and how to make these practices available for all students, regardless of ability
- Learn how to apply the teachings of yoga philosophy in day to day life to reduce stress, create more balance and develop authentic connections with self and others
- Learn how to build a strong community among Yoga students to support the transformational process of yoga
ABOUT THE TEACHER
Jivana is the founder of Accessible Yoga, co-owner of the Santa Barbara Yoga Center and an Integral Yoga Minister. With over twenty years of training and teaching in a traditional yoga lineage, Jivana has specialized in teaching the subtle practices of yoga: pranayama, meditation, as well as sharing yoga philosophy. His passion is making Yoga accessible to everyone.
Accessible Yoga has grown into an international advocacy and education organization, and now offers two conferences per year, trainings around the world, an ambassador program and online network.
Jivana has taught wth the Dean Ornish Heart Disease Reversal Program through UCSF, California Pacific Medical Center’s Institute of Health and Healing, and the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. He has led over 40 Yoga teacher training programs over the past 16 years, and created the Accessible Yoga Training program in 2007. On December 3rd, 2015, Jivana taught Accessible Yoga at the United Nations in Geneva for their International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
Jivana’s strengths are sharing esoteric and complex teaching in a readily accessible way, and applying the ancient teachings of Yoga to our day-to-day lives. Register Here
Early Bird (by Apr 1): $595